Monday, May 6, 2013

Talking Helps...

What a wonderful night. Tami called me this morning and wanted to know if she and Olivia could come over tonight. Of course I said yes. She came over at around 6pm and just left at about midnight. We sat and talked and watched Olivia play and then she decided it was time to go home. I carried Olivia out to the car and Tami wanted to talk for a "few minutes" while she smoked a cigarette. That few minutes turned out to be be three hours! After Tami put Olivia in the car seat, she immediately fell asleep, so we just continued to talk...and talk...and talk some more.
We talked about everything under the sun. We talked about her divorce. We talked about our relationship. We talked about what we had both done wrong - and what we had done right. I told her that I could tell that she was a wonderful mom and that she has become a wonderful person. We talked about the fact that I didn't always like her choices but that I always loved her and that I loved the way she made things work. She is a very creative person and she can make things work the way they need to work for her and her daughter.
I told her how proud I was of her. I realized how much she has grown up in just the last few months. She is an amazing young woman and I have to start giving her more credit. She loves her little girl, and her little girl so obviously loves her.
I see some of the things that she does with the kids she babysits - she has so many wonderful ideas for them! I can't wait to see what she does as Olivia grows bigger!

I have to stop and think - I have two wonderful daughters that I raised. Mostly on my own. Their dad was their physically - but he wasn't really there. Both of these girls have become awesome young women and wonderful parents. They love their children with every molecule in their bodies and each of them - in their own ways - is doing what they think is the best for their children. They live their lives for their children. Both of them have figured out how to be stay at home moms while still working to provide for their children.
I think about how wonderful they are - and I have to think that I had something to do with the way they turned out. They have my values. They want what is best for their kids. They want to play and have fun with them. They want to make happy memories with them - even if the times aren't always the happiest, they want their children to have happy memories. And they get that from me. I'm not trying to brag or to say that I am perfect - because I am far from perfect. I'm just trying to say that maybe I'm not so bad after all....

5 things to make me smile today...
  1. Early morning phone call from Tami wanting to come over tonight.
  2. Choosing a scholarship winner for the Seltzer scholarship.
  3. Having my student Madison (who has Asperger's) tell me "You are my precious Mrs. Campbell!" after she had a bad temper tantrum.
  4. Seeing a picture of a student from Rainbows - from nearly 20 years ago - in the district newsletter. And he still looks like the same ornery little boy that he was back then!
  5. Watching Olivia and her mama play and cuddle together. Especially when Tami pretended to be asleep and Olivia crawled up beside her and put her face on her mama's face and pretended to sleep, as well.
  6. Bonus smile: Olivia eating her hot dog off the plate with her mouth - like a puppy dog! It was hilarious! Got a picture, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment